Rights and Responsibilities
As a student financial aid recipient, it is your responsibility to:
- Reapply for financial aid each year by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and submitting all required documents to the Office of Financial Aid. Financial Aid is not automatically renewed each year.
- Complete and submit application materials within required or preferred timeframes and check myaid.mcad.edu Document to ensure all required forms have been submitted.
- Provide additional documentation or information as requested by the MCAD Financial Aid Office.
- Read and understand all materials sent to you from the MCAD Financial Aid Office and keep copies of all forms you sign.
- Comply with the provisions of any promissory note and all other agreements you sign.
- Know and comply with the federal, state, and institutional rules governing the financial aid you receive. This information is on the FAFSA, on the materials sent with your award notification, and on the MCAD Financial Aid website. These rules include, but are not limited to, not being in default on any prior educational loan and not owing a refund on a federal grant due to repayment.
- Report other sources of student financial aid to the MCAD Financial Aid Office.
- Use student financial aid proceeds solely for direct educational costs and related living expenses.
- Complete the class registration process each semester by the end of the official last day to late register or add courses in order to ensure availability of all student financial aid funds you have been awarded. Some aid programs may be subject to cancelation or reduction if your registration process is not completed by the official last day to late register or add courses.
- Know the implications that dropping a course or withdrawing from MCAD will have on your student financial aid.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as defined in the MCAD Student Handbook.
- Keep your residing and permanent addresses current with the MCAD Registrar's Office.
- Check your university assigned email account often since some information and request are sent via email.
- Pay all outstanding balance charges appearing on your MCAD tuition bill by posted due dates each semester. Tuition statements are posted online at mybill.mcad.edu.
As a student financial aid recipient, you have the right to:
- Know the correct procedures for applying for student financial aid, your cost of attendance, and the types of aid available
- Know how financial need is determined, what the criteria are for awarding financial aid, how satisfactory academic progress is determined, and what you have to do to continue receiving aid.
- Know the type and amount of assistance you will receive, how much of your financial need has been met, and how and when you will receive your financial aid funds.
- View the contents of your student financial aid file, in accordance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Know the conditions of any loan you accept.
- Know the terms, conditions, and pay rate for any student job you accept.
- Appeal any decision with the MCAD Financial Aid Office in regard to your financial aid application.
- Notify the MCAD Financial Aid Office of any of the following:
- Outside resources, such as scholarships or veterans benefits all of which must be counted as financial assistance and could possibly reduce/eliminate an existing federal award.
- Changes in your enrollment status, residency, academic program or classification.
- Changes in your financial situation since filing the FAFSA.
- If you have defaulted, filed bankruptcy or filed for disability discharge on a federal student loan or you are in the process of filing bankruptcy on an educational loan.
- If you have been awarded or received federal or state financial aid at another institution besides MCAD in the same academic year.