How the MCAD Mentorship Works
The Mentorship program is designed to work on a few different levels based on demand, interest, and individual availability.
For alumni the program allows you to pick from a list of options based on the level of engagement you are willing to commit to. For some it might be attending our signature mentorship events twice a year, for others a more in-depth one-on-one partnership, and for others still an opportunity to be part of a semester long class visits. Your registration form will help us determine what is best match for you and throw you in the mix of other exciting, dedicated alumni who are currently participating.
For students, finding a mentor can be challenging and intimidating. The MCAD Mentorship program is here to help you start building strong, professional relationships while gaining new learning experiences that will enable you to jump-start your career while still at school.
It takes only ten simple steps and a dose of motivation and you're ready to go:
- Sign up using the registration links for students or alumni.
- You will receive an email from the Alumni Relations Office confirming you are signed up.
- Based on the answers in your registration form you will be matched with a mentor/mentee and be provided with quick overview and contact information.
- Time to schedule your first meeting.
- Confirm your match with the alumni office. If it's a fit then you go forward—if it's not then we will try again.
- Set up schedule with your new mentee/mentor and establish best paths for communication (email, phone, text, Skype, etc.)
- Communicate regularly and in timely manner.
- Follow up on emails and keep scheduled appointments to the best of your ability.
- Experience the rewards from being a valued mentor/ inspiring mentee.
- When the mentorship is over let the alumni office know.
Additional mentorship options for alumni with limited availability:
- Consider attending one of the mentorship events to meet students and give quick advice or act as a connector!
- Visit the classroom of your favorite former instructor and participate as a mentor in a class setting during critique.
- Write about your experience and share tips on the MCAD Alumni eNews.
- Connect current students with others in your professional network who might not be MCAD Alumni.
What the Alumni Office will do to assure that everybody who participates in the Mentorship Program has the best possible experience:
- Assist with initial introductions and match-making.
- Check in every 3 months to see how the mentor/mentee relationship is going.
- Problem solving! If you're not happy or have concerns about any part of your participation in the program contact the office right away and we'll do our best to resolve any issues in a timely manner.
- If things are going awesome share your experience so we can spread the word and encourage others to participate.
What the mentorship program is not:
Easy way to get an internship or a job.