This real-world work experience allows you to earn credits, boost your resume, and sometimes even stamp your passport.
Internships are academic learning experiences where students work under the mentorship of experienced professionals. Working on-site, students apply their skills to real-world projects while learning about their chosen industries, enhancing their skills, networking, and building their portfolios.
"I did an internship called Catalyst for Chemistry where MCAD students partnered with chemistry grad students from the U of M to find ways to make chemistry more interesting to middle schoolers. First we studied chemistry experiments with the grad students so we would know what we were talking about, and then we met with the kids and asked them what they would like to see. Using that info we designed pamphlets, animations, comics, and posters."
"I interned with Lindsay Nohl last summer. We started off by going to NYC for a trade show where I met the amazing artists Daniel Fishel and Sam O’Connell. After that, I worked on projects for Light Grey Art Lab and Paper Bicycle, Lindsay’s design business. I interviewed artists, priced and shipped artwork, utilized social media, and more. I’m now doing an independent study with Daniel Fishel—proof that making connections through your internships is really important."
"As a freshman, I entered a competition with other students to develop a new brand for BI Worldwide. We worked 24/7 for a month straight and ended up being chosen. Our winnings? Paid internships to help rebrand a 400 million dollar worldwide company. We even got front row seats at the launch party (with all of their top employees from all over the world), which was live streamed—they flicked a switch and the website changed to our new one. I still can’t believe that happened."
Examples of Internship Sites
- Bloomingdales, New York, NY
- Carmichael Lynch, Minneapolis, MN
- City Pages, Minneapolis, MN
- Green Team USA, New York, NY
- Gucci, New York, NY
- K2 Sports / Ride Snowboards, Seattle, WA
- KMSP Fox 9, Eden Prairie, MN
- Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art, North Adams, MA
- Medtronic Inc., Mounds View, MN
- Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul, MN
- Minnesota Timberwolves / Lynx, Minneapolis, MN
- MTV, New York, NY
- Nickelodeon, New York, NY
- Ogilvy & Mather, Warsaw, Poland
- Target, Minneapolis, MN
- Tupperware Brands, Orlando, FL
- Urban Outfitters, Philadelphia, PA
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Ft. Snelling, MN
- VH1, New York, NY
- Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, MN
- Werc Werk Works, Minneapolis, MN