The Minneapolis College of Art and Design (MCAD) strives to provide quality distance education; however, we realize that occasionally challenges may arise. Like all MCAD students, distance learners are advised to first address any grievances using the options below. We always hope to solve any problem in a prompt, fair, and friendly manner.

  1. Reach out to your instructor to discuss the issue. Hopefully this conversation can resolve any issues, but if you are uncomfortable contacting your instructor review option 2.
  2. Contact the Online Learning Office to discuss or register a complaint:
  3. Contact the Vice President of Academic Affairs:

Appealing Grades

Students who believe they have been subjected to arbitrary or discriminatory evaluation by a faculty member are also entitled to appeal or grieve. In questions of alleged improper evaluation, students must take the following steps:

  1. Consult the individual faculty member
  2. Consult the department chair, as appropriate
  3. Appeal to the Vice President of Academic Affairs

There is a statute of limitations on all grade changes. Following the semester in which the course in question was taken, the student will be allowed two semesters (whether or not attending the college) to file an appeal or grievance. Grade appeals will be resolved by MCAD and decisions are final. 

Unresolved Grievance Policy

Pursuant to the state authorization provision of the Program Integrity Regulations (34 C.F.R. 668.43) established by the Department of Education on October 29, 2010, the following contact information is provided for filing complaints that remain unresolved after working with MCAD staff and/or faculty. Students will have two years to register a complaint with any of these organizations.

Complaint Process for Students Residing in Minnesota

Complaints concerning broad institutional academic practices, such as those that raise issues regarding the College’s ability to meet accreditation standards, may be forwarded to either:

Complaints concerning consumer protection violations may be directed to:

Complaint Process for Students Not Residing in Minnesota

MCAD has been approved by the state of Minnesota to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education. If you have exhausted the institutional grievance process but are not satisfied with the outcome, you may file a complaint through the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement for Minnesota or your local state agency.


Updated 12/20/2017